Official City Documents
- Newark Bike Plan (approved by Newark City Council on Feb. 24, 2014) – PDF
- Newark Bike Plan Appendix: Public Outreach and Comments – PDF
- Proposed “Newark Bikeways” Map (as of Jan. 5, 2020) – PDF
- Newark Bike Map and supplementary info (as of Dec. 17, 2019) – PDF
- City Parks and Trails
- Ken Cox’s Unofficial White Clay Creek and Middle Run Trail Map – PDF
- BikeNewark’s PSA video on how to use the Main Street contraflow lane
- League of American Bicyclists “Ride Smart” safety videos
The Federal Highway Administration offers bicycle-safety videos and interactive resources for kids ages 5–18.
- Video for elementary school kids, ages 5–9
- Video for middle school kids, ages 10–14
- Video for high school kids, ages 15–18
Bicycles and Local Transit Buses
The following links provide information related to loading your bicycle onto DART First State and University of Delaware buses.
Commuting by Bicycle
- Bike-commuting brochure, “Bike to Work, Newark!” – PDF
- Bike-commuting leaflets (3-up on a page), “10 Reasons You Should Try Bicycle Commuting” – PDF
- “A Beginner’s Guide to Biking to Work,” a New York Times article, May 30, 2017
Local Bicycle Clubs
Other Helpful Local Resources
- Report a problem on city roads or state roads, such as a traffic signal malfunction, pothole, or debris in the bike lane.
- Get—or fix—a bike, or help others do so. The Newark Bike Project offers “learn to do-it-yourself” repair facilities, bicycle recycling, and educational programs for the Newark, Del., community.
- Learn about bicycle commuting and tax benefits, sign up for the Emergency Ride Home program or find a Bicycle Buddy commuting partner through RideShare Delaware.
- Try biking and transit. All DART buses have bike racks and many Park and Rides have secure bike lockers.
- Request a bike map, report a road problem or learn about Delaware bicycling laws through the Delaware Bicycle Council.