Join the Downes Elementary School community in celebration of Bike to School Week by encouraging your children to bike to and from school during the week of May 6–10, 2019.
View/download info flyer (PDF).
A bike train consists of groups of students accompanied by adults that bicycle a pre-planned route to school.
During the week of May 6–10, we invite you and your child(ren) to join one of four bicycle routes to Downes. Bike trains will depart at 7:45 a.m. from Pilgrim Baptist Church on Barksdale Road, the Wesleyan Church on Church Road, the Nottingham Green pool, and Fairfield Park, and will be led by Downes parents, the City Manager, Newark Police officers, and/or community volunteers.
Use the map featured to the right to find your child’s train and associated route (click on map for enlarged image).
Safe Biking Tips
- Make sure your child’s bike is road ready. Review Nemours Children’s Health System’s Bicycle Safety Checklist (PDF).
- Wear a helmet. Helmets are required by Delaware law if under the age of 16 but recommended for all ages. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, bicycle helmets are 85 to 88 percent effective in mitigating head and brain injuries.
- Stay visible. Use lights when biking at night or in low-light conditions.
- Follow the Rules of the Road. Bike in the direction of traffic and obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Learn About Bicycle Safety! This interactive coloring and activity booklet was developed for children in Kindergarten through the 3rd grade by the Delaware Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Program, in partnership with Delaware Risk Watch and the University of Delaware Cooperative Extension’s Community Traffic Safety Program.